Copyright

All material is the property of the artists and their respective clients. All rights reserved. Any commercial use of any portion of this website is strictly prohibited.

Saturday, August 16

Birth of a Replicant

Hey guys! 
Here is a design I made for the Facebook Brainstorm group. The theme was Blade Runner. 


I thought it was interesting that the replicants in the film were made out of organic substance and I thought it would be fun to imagine how they would be build. 

I pictured a kind of 3D printer, where there's a flat surface that slowly goes up while organic matter is released into the basin by the 6 faucets on the edges. The organic matter (DNA) moves through the liquid to find its correct position and gets 'glued' to the rest of the body by the laser around the edge of the table. This process would continue and the replicant would slowly emerge from the liquid, like a print from a SLA 3D printer. 

I tried adding movable parts to the machine so it would feel alive when active, like the Voight-Kampff machine while monitoring. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I love your concept, and the picture is thrilling. It cathches the Blade Runner atmosphere, I think.

    I suppose you are aware that your idea has been posted on i09 and is being discussed. Several of the commenters have pointed out that the eyes (as they are manufactured by Chew) do not fit into the concept. At first glance, I might add. The article made me think about the whole fabrication process for quite a while, and I think that your idea and Chew's business actually complement each other.

    Maybe...

    ... it is not that individuals parts are actually manufactured individually, as Chew's shop might suggest. That would seem like a very ineffective way of producing replicants, assuming they are mass-produced.

    Perhaps what Chew (and other biotechs like him, I assume) is really doing is design the eyes, rather than manufacture them individually for each replicant. I imagine he could give them specialized vision modes, producing a "master", which would then in turn be used as a blueprint for the process of printing the final product.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments constructive. The artists contributing to the blog are doing so for everyone's mutual benefit.